PhD student for Properties of Coherently Prepared Media (Ultra-cold media)
The project aims at studies of new magneto-optical properties of cold atoms with the perspective of establishing new ways of controlling quantum states of atomic samples. One possible objective is application of the spin-squeezing for obtaining measurement accuracy beyond the standard uncertainty limit. Another is development of experimental methods of extending the coherence time of the quantum state superpositions. Possible application of these results are in quantum information and for sensitive, nondestructive diagnostics of cold-matter samples. The candidate should be experienced in laser spectroscopy and atomic cooling and trapping techniques.
- MSc, Engineer, or equivalent Diploma in physics, material science, or related fields,
- good record in atomic, optical physics and in quantum mechanics,
- experience in experimental physics, particularly in laser physics, atomic/molecular spectroscopy, optics and/or photonics,
- strong motivation and creativity in research work,
- teamwork ability,
- good command of English.
- covering letter,
- curriculum vitae,
- reference letter,
- copy of MSc ceritificate,
- description of previous scientific work (MSc project),
- list of publications (if any).
- possibility of completing PhD thesis in physics,
- access to modern experimental apparatus,
- work in a dynamic team, active involvement in edge-cutting research,
- development of leadership experience,
- involvement in international collaboration,
- stipend (3 500 PLN per month) for 2-4 years.
Candidates fulfilling the requirements send required documents to Prof. Wojciech Gawlik with "TEAM application form" in a Subject line.
Note that each candidate qualified to participate in the project as PhD student becomes automatically a PhD student at the Institute of Physics of the Jagiellonian University with its all obligations, e.g. teaching duties.
Reqruitment deadline is 25th June 2011.