PhD student for New materials for Coherently Prepared Media
New materials will be tested for their possible applications as coherently prepared media. One possible material are hollow fibers filled with atoms. In this way, on one hand, one may use known methods to create quantum state superpositions in atoms and use them for tailoring the medium's properties. On the other hand, the optical fiber properties should also have their impact on the optical properties of such a hybrid system. The second possible kind of new prospective material are synthetic diamond crystals with nitrogen-vacancy colour centers. Such centers are unique in that they posses nonzero spin which allows using magneto-optic effects for tailoring of their properties. They may have many applications in quantum information and metrology.
- MSc, Engineer, or equivalent Diploma in physics, material science, or related fields,
- good record in atomic, optical physics and in quantum mechanics,
- experience in experimental physics, particularly in laser physics, atomic/molecular spectroscopy, optics and/or photonics,
- strong motivation and creativity in research work,
- teamwork ability,
- good command of English.
- covering letter,
- curriculum vitae,
- reference letter,
- copy of MSc ceritificate,
- description of previous scientific work (MSc project),
- list of publications (if any).
- possibility of completing PhD thesis in physics,
- access to modern experimental apparatus,
- work in a dynamic team, active involvement in edge-cutting research,
- development of leadership experience,
- involvement in international collaboration,
- stipend (3 500 PLN per month) for 2-4 years.
Candidates fulfilling the requirements send required documents to Prof. Wojciech Gawlik with "TEAM application form" in a Subject line.
Note that each candidate qualified to participate in the project as PhD student becomes automatically a PhD student at the Institute of Physics of the Jagiellonian University with its all obligations, e.g. teaching duties.
Reqruitment deadline is 25th June 2011.